How do I request information from the City?
Informal Request via Routine Channels:
Most of the City's information is available to you upon verbal request. Please ask City staff who will be pleased to assist you.
Formal Freedom of Information (FOI) Requests:
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act applies to all records that are under the custody or control of a public body. If the information you are seeking is not available through routine channels, you may make an FOI request for records.
Unlike routine requests, the Act requires that requests for access to records not regularly available be made in writing. Your written request must provide sufficient detail to assist staff in locating and retrieving the records you are looking for.
We will process your request as quickly as possible and within the 30 business day time frame specified in the Act. If your request is broad in scope, or if a large volume of records relate to your request, we may extend the time limit for responding under the Act for an additional 30 business days.
The fees associated with disclosure as per the Act include:
- Photocopies: $0.25/page
- Staff time: $30 per hour for any time in excess of 3 hours (see * below)
The Act includes several specific exceptions to disclosure, which means that, by law, certain types of records and information will not be made available to the public. Types of information not available to the public include:
- Deliberations of Closed Council and Council Committees that are authorized to be held in the absence of the public
- Legal advice given to the City
- Information related to law enforcement matters
- Information which will affect the economic interests of a public body
- Information dangerous to the health and safety of an individual or group of individuals
- Third party business information
- Personal information
If you would like further information on the legislation and how it applies to you and your request for information, please contact the City's Deputy Corporate Administrator.
* Staff time
- For all applicants other than commercial applicants: $30 per hour for any time in excess of 3 hours.
- For commercial applicants: the actual cost of providing the service for any time in excess of 3 hours.